(Artist Tom Sachs in his studio)
A few favorites:
- Pay attention to the world and people around you. You’ll need those observations.
- Spend a lot of time with and around other artists. Talk. Drink with them. Go to openings with them.
- Accept that you are not Picasso. You are almost certainly not a genius, as there are fewer than one of these per generation. Make up for it by working your ass off.
- Do not wait for a dealer or curator or collector to give you a place to show. Especially these days. Get together with your peers and make it happen.
- Until you’re so rich and famous that you can check out, you have to live in a community with an art scene, and you have to be a part of it.
Post from FLUX. BOSTON